Calling all theatregoers! The third annual Theatre Charleston Awards season kicks off in August 2014, and Theatre Charleston wants YOU. Charleston-area residents with a keen interest in live theatre are invited to apply for a position in the official 2014/2015 Theatre Charleston Awards voting body. Applications can be downloaded below and submitted by email to Emily Wilhoit at firstname.lastname@example.org, mailed to PO Box 279 Charleston, SC 29402, or dropped off at any Theatre Charleston Member Theatre by 5:00pm, April 1, 2014.
The Theatre Charleston Awards are the Lowcountry's comprehensive theatre awards created by The League of Charleston Theatres to recognize excellence in theatrical performance, production, and design. Our community boasts some of the most talented actors, directors, and designers in the Southeast, and the Theatre Charleston Awards allow us to acknowledge their exceptional work, all while expanding visibility for Charleston's diverse theatre community. Theatre Charleston seeks patrons, artists, educators, and journalists with the critical thinking skills necessary to effectively rate all areas of a production.
Here's what some of our current voters are saying:
- "Being a voter has been an extremely rewarding experience for me personally. I consider it a huge privilege to be able to see the incredible wealth of talent and commitment that is evident in every production I have attended this season. It is not difficult at all to fulfill the very minimal requirements even with a busy work schedule. The benefits have been huge and it is soooo worth it!" - Mary DeMartino
- "Being [a voter] has given me the opportunity to make my voice heard in an arena that I care about deeply!" - Barbara Fox
- "I became a voter because it allows me to provide a real service to the theatre community. So far, this has been a terrific experience!" - Valerie Morris, Dean of the College of Charleston School of the Arts
- "Being a voter has encouraged me to see more shows than I likely would have otherwise. Having been fortunate enough to have seen shows on Broadway and regionally off Broadway, seeing more shows here as a voter has given me a much greater awareness and appreciation for the depth and true quality of Theatre in Charleston - actors, directors, sets, costuming, music and more. Amazing talent in this town!" - Doug McGill
- "This season Theatre Charleston Awards performances introduced us to the vast talent, creativity and passion in the Charleston Theatre scene. Attending Theatre Charleston Awards performances is one of our favorite things about living in Charleston. Thank you! for all the effort you put into this initiative." - Peter Zalka
- "We were amazed at the number of productions in a given year and the quality of many of the performances. Being voters made these performances much more accessible. It is reassuring to know how widespread great theater is in Charleston." - Inna and Slade Metcal
Complimentary tickets to all TC Award eligible productions are provided to voters to assist them in fulfilling their commitment to attend at least 8 productions at a minimum of 5 different theatres throughout the season. Further details on the requirements and responsibilities of voters can be found within the application. All applications will be reviewed by the TC Awards Review Committee and Board of Directors, and finalists will be notified by May 30th, 2014. A limited number of voters will be selected.
Join us in this exciting program by applying for membership in the prestigious Theatre Charleston Awards voting body. Together we can promote live theatre and increase awareness of the richness of the local performing arts community.
Questions should be directed to Emily Wilhoit at (843) 813-8578 or email@example.com before the April 1 application deadline.
THEATRE CHARLESTON AWARDS MISSION STATEMENT:
Theatre Charleston Awards are the Lowcountry’s comprehensive theatre awards created by The League of Charleston Theatres to recognize excellence in theatrical performance, production and design. The Theatre Charleston Awards strive to promote live theatre and increase awareness of the richness of the local performing arts community in the Charleston area.
-Who will see my votes?
Voting will be done online and will be kept strictly confidential. Final review and tally of the votes will be done by an outside firm or group.
-If I am selected as a voter, will I still be elligable to win a Theatre Charleston Award?
Yes! Voters may participate in as many eligable productions as they like. Voters may not vote on a production for which their name appears as a contributor in the production program.
-I will be out of town for part of the year next season. Am I still eligible to be a voter?
Yes. As it states in the voter application, voters must see a minimum of 8 shows at a minimum of 5 different theatres. Voters are in no way expected to see every eligible production, but are encouraged to see as many as possible.